Job Title: Director of Finance
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports To: COO
FLSA Status: Exempt
Population Action International (PAI), a leading advocate for family planning and reproductive health in the developing world, seeks a highly skilled Director of Finance to oversee PAI financial management responsibilities. Reporting to the COO and serving as a member of PAI’s management team, the Director of Finance is responsible for leading the key financial functions of PAI. Located in Washington, DC, PAI has a staff of 35 and an annual budget of $7 million.
PAI seeks an experienced non-profit professional highly skilled in financial management and process improvement/change management who can interact with an engaged Board of Directors and has a facility for mentoring program staff. We are looking for a flexible team player with excellent financial skills who understands the foundation-funded NGO context, to both guide senior leadership on the financial health of the organization, as well as understand and work alongside program staff as they manage multiple restricted project budgets.
The Director of Finance oversees and leads the key financial functions of PAI: accounting, budgeting, and grants management. S/he is responsible for all budget and financial systems including Dynamics SL, payroll, grants revenue recognition, and grant financial reporting and invoicing. S/he oversees and directs the accounting department and accounting and administrative staff. The Director of Finance works with the COO to direct the organization’s annual financial planning cycle and ensures compliance with organizational guidelines and donor policies. S/he interfaces with PAI’s Board of Directors and staffs the Board’s Budget/Finance, Audit and Investment committees.
Administrative or operations responsibilities may also be included as part of the job description depending on the skills, experience and interest of the candidate.
- Responsible for all organizational financial functions.
- Monthly Financial Statements. Prepare and present timely, clear and concise monthly financial statements to senior management in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Produce periodic internal financial performance reports for senior management, the board of directors, and donors.
- Restricted grant projects: Prepare timely and clear expense reports against project budgets and mentor program staff in budget management.
- Lead the annual audit undertaken by an external audit firm.
- Budget. Leads the process for preparation of the annual organizational budget for Board approval and mid-year budget forecast.
- Manage the Finance and Administration team. Build a cohesive team that is respectful and responsible to each other, other PAI colleagues; provide mentoring, guidance, and professional development to staff; ensure right-placement of functions and responsibilities.
- Process Improvement/Change Management. Develop and implement process improvements relating to financial and budget management at PAI consistent with best practice in organizational change management.
- Participate in senior management team. Serve with other department heads on organizational leadership group, representing interests of the whole.
- Internal Controls. Develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy of record keeping, effectiveness of internal controls and adequate safeguarding of the organization’s assets.
- Investment Portfolio. Monitor the performance of the investment portfolio and work with the investment manager and PAI Board Treasurer in making decisions about asset allocations within the broad guidelines established by the Budget and Finance Committee of the Board.
- Board Committees. Staff and support the PAI Budget & Finance Committee, Audit Committee and Investment Sub-Committee.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful incumbent will be a solutions-oriented financial professional who can understand the needs of the entire institution as s/he carries out his/her responsibilities. S/he must demonstrate superior interpersonal, leadership and diplomatic skills.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field required. Master’s degree desirable
- Minimum of 9 years proven experience with increasing levels of responsibility directing an accounting/finance department
- Nonprofit experience required
- Minimum of 3 years experience managing staff
- Experienced user of Dynamics SL (required), experience using Project Controller, Requisition Module, P.O. Module, and Business Portal (desirable). Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel also required
- Experienced in change management and process improvement. Familiarity with a CRM desirable
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to achieve results within a collegial organization
- Strong commitment to the PAI mission
To excel in this position, the incoming Director of Finance will need to demonstrate or draw upon the following competencies:
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; instills positive spirit of team work and collaboration between the Finance Department and other departments of the organization.
- Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services. continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; contributes to revenue; develops and implements cost saving measures; conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
PAI can offer the successful candidate a highly competitive compensation and benefit package, commensurate with experience.
PAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
To apply, please e-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.