Full-time position based in Washington D.C.
About PAI: PAI advocates for women and families to have access to contraception in order to improve their health, reduce poverty and protect their environment. Guided by its strategic plan, PAI is in a period of exciting organizational advancement and growth. Over the next several years, PAI expects to focus its international efforts in a series of priority countries in the developing world, as well pursue new opportunities with donor governments that support international reproductive health and rights. PAI’s foundation and institutional fundraising efforts will play a critical role in achieving a strong and sustainable organization and successfully implementing the strategic plan.
Position Description: Under the supervision of the Director of Foundation Partnerships, the Grants Manager is a motivated, experienced development professional capable of managing the entire life cycle of grants awarded by foundations and other institutional funders. S/he thrives working within a dynamic and interactive team. Successful candidates will demonstrate a balance between the creativity and discipline needed to effectively pursue and manage foundation grants.
The Grants Manager conducts donor research, writes compelling proposals and reports that clearly communicate PAI’s niche and value, tracks deadlines, assists with the development of program budgets and financial reports, prepares materials for donor meetings, and helps manage data as it relates to PAI’s foundation fundraising. The Grants Manager supports the organizational monitoring and evaluation (M&E) process, particularly as it relates to donor reporting. S/he has direct experience creating and maintaining systems to undergird a strong and successful foundation fundraising program. S/he has a demonstrated ability to interact positively with foundation staff, boards of directors and other organizational stakeholders.
The Grants Manager is a critical member of the Development team, and works closely with the Vice President of Development, the Director of Foundation Partnerships, the Development Coordinator and the Major Gifts team to develop and execute an effective strategy for securing support for PAI from the foundation community and other institutional donors. Additionally, s/he builds strong collaborative relationships with staff across the organization, including those from program, finance, and the executive office. Working closely with the Director of Foundation Partnerships, the Grants Manager is the person primarily responsible for the operational (systems) component of PAI’s foundation fundraising efforts.
- Passion for PAI’s mission, and for working in an organization during a period of change and growth. Knowledge of international reproductive health and rights, and the related donor community, a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree and three to five years of previous experience in all aspects of foundation fundraising – donor research; proposal/report production; budget preparation; invoice monitoring; deadline tracking; data management; materials preparation; donor outreach, etc.
- Understanding of organizational brand, niche and value and their relevance to revenue generation.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain grants management processes/systems.
- Creative, flexible problem-solver who remains positive and effective when faced with deadlines and competing priorities.
- Proven ability to successfully motivate more senior colleagues to provide necessary support for grant and reporting requirements.
- Good judgment and ability to maintain confidential information.
- Excellent attention to detail, planning and organizational skills.
- Experience working with Microsoft office suite; high level of comfort working with online applications. Working knowledge and understanding of donor databases is preferred.
- Strong and demonstrated relationships building skills.
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work independently, as well as part of a highly interactive team.
Reporting Structure: The Grants Manager will work in the Resource Development Department and report to the Director of Foundation Partnerships. This position will also coordinate with colleagues in PAI’s other departments, including Advocacy, Communications, Research, Finance and the Executive Office.
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and a short writing sample via e-mail to email@example.com. PAI is an equal opportunity employer. PAI is a family-friendly organization offering a competitive benefit package.