An International Advocacy Associate is being sought by Population Action International (PAI), a not for profit organization that advocates for women and families to have access to contraception in order to improve their health, reduce poverty and protect their environment. Candidates who show an understanding of and appreciation for PAI’s commitment to strategic collaboration; to linking women’s health with other key development concerns; and to serving the under-served and most vulnerable will have an advantage.
The International Advocacy Associate will provide input into PAI’s overall advocacy strategy, and provide logistical, organizational, and communications support to the Advocacy team. Other responsibilities include: work with international partners outside the United States on sexual and reproductive health advocacy; provide strategic input and support of key international advocacy projects and initiatives, particularly those on Reproductive and Maternal Health Supplies, assist with the coordination of international advocacy grants and with the development and maintenance of new partnerships, both regionally and globally; and participate in cross-departmental/cross-project collaboration between IA and others as needed. This work will entail: policy analysis, drafting advocacy materials, representing PAI and liaising with external stakeholders, planning events and building partnerships with key stakeholders, and actively contributing to the design and implementation of strategic initiatives that advance PAI’s mission.
The position requires approximately 20% international travel.
To be considered for this position the candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum three years of relevant work experience, with policy/advocacy and program experience in international development maternal and reproductive health (with particular knowledge of supplies/commodities), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Project Management experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and represent organizational interests in coalitions
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, with an ability to write precisely and concisely for internal and external audiences
- Strong and demonstrated relationships building skills
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work independently
- A team player with a sense of humor, collaborative spirit, creativity and a commitment to PAI’s mission.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of a wide range of international reproductive and maternal health, funding mechanisms and policies.
PAI is a family-friendly organization offering a competitive benefits package. Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample (maximum length 3 pages) and salary requirements by May 24, 2013 via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.