A Library/Information Services Intern is being sought by Population Action International (PAI), an independent research and advocacy group working to strengthen support for international family planning. PAI works to ensure that every person has the right and access to sexual and reproductive health, humanity and the natural environment exist in balance and fewer people live in poverty.
This internship is an excellent opportunity for an energetic, creative library student or recent graduate to acquire considerable hands-on experience in all aspects of management and services in a special library, including assisting with the upgrade and ongoing development of intranet-based library services.
The intern will work closely with the PAI Director of Strategic Knowledge and, as solo librarian, will have the opportunity to apply the full spectrum of skills required to manage a special library supporting a busy staff of researchers and policy advocates.
Description of Tasks
- Perform general library functions including acquisitions & subscriptions, research/reference support, weekly resource alerts, and light cataloging & circulation in an automated environment
- Assist with the upgrade of library intranet pages and the development of metadata to support improved internal information sharing and access.
- Participate in information services projects such as the development and implementation of an intranet-based repository to manage PAI’s extensive collection of photos.
- Other duties as assigned
- Library education (currently enrolled student or recent graduate seeking experience)
- Strong interest in knowledge management
- Self-starter, with solid organizational skills and attention to detail
- Adept with technologies. Experience preferred but not required: InMagic Genie, Microsoft SharePoint 2010 or 2013.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
Duration of Internship
Mid-March–May 2013 (with possibility for extension for Summer Term)
15 – 20 hours per week, flexible hours
Mary Panke, Director of Strategic Knowledge
Resumes with cover letter may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.