Senior Research Associate
Population Action International (PAI), a leading advocate for family planning and reproductive health in the developing world, seeks a Senior Research Associate to conceptualize, conduct and direct pioneering research, analysis and writing on topics related to reproductive health and rights, and women’s empowerment within the context of international development, as well as to provide technical expertise to key PAI staff on trends in these issue areas.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Programs, and as a member of the Research department the Senior Research Associate produces research products that align with PAI’s mission and objectives, and serves as a resource to process and respond to internal and external information requests for assistance on analysis and/or information on methodologies. The Senior Research Associate assists essential management functions of the research department including department and organization-wide budget planning, and provides support for the proposal development function, among other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Research: Execute research functions in assigned topic areas including scoping new areas of PAI research, producing written summaries of key findings and recommendations, conducting original research and analyzing new and existing data and research, producing written reports, policy and issue briefs, working papers, concept papers, and blogs using consistent PAI messaging
- Subject Expertise: Respond to internal and external requests for research or technical assistance to analyze data. Serve as an internal/external resource on assigned topics; respond to requests for information; lead brown-bag discussions, and provide analysis to staff, advise on reliable data sources, retrieve data and perform original calculations; provide details to developing country partners/grantees and others on data sources, methodologies and trends. Serve as technical liaison and subject matter expert for external research partners
- Analytical Writing: Develop and write publications, blogs, grant proposals, reports, and policy advocacy materials with an aim to communicate complex technical issues to a policy and advocacy oriented audience using consistent PAI messaging. Collaborate with the Communications department in the dissemination of research products to target audiences and stakeholders
- External Representation: Represent PAI on key technical issues using consistent PAI messaging, respond to media inquiries and speaker requests as appropriate; submit abstracts and represent PAI at conferences, coalitions, and meetings; monitor and collaborate with other advocacy and research groups to ensure consistency and coordination of PAI work efforts; travel as needed to perform these responsibilities
- Strategic Planning: Provide strategic recommendations and support to PAI’s program work; identify opportunities for PAI research, advocacy, funding, and partnerships; track relevant global and national policy processes and report their impact/influence on PAI’s work; coordinate with and contribute to PAI’s advocacy and communications work; actively participate in proposal writing and grant reporting and maintain relationships with funders and potential funders as needed
- Project Management: Provide oversight of the activities and outputs of department project(s); develop work plans in collaboration with Programs team, conduct technical reviews (monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of indicators); ensure that project work is implemented in an efficient, effective manner that aligns with PAI target objectives, manages project budget, and oversee project execution;
- Department Management. Assist in the management and essential functions of the Research department; advise the VP of Programs on department strategy, staff matters, and work status; contribute to and help guide annual and quarterly department planning and regular meetings
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree in demography, international affairs, development policy, public health, or related social science field
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- A demonstrated history of research in reproductive health and rights, reproductive health supplies, international development and/or women’s empowerment.
- An ability to gather, analyze and organize quantitative and qualitative data and information
- Excellent writing skills and an ability to communicate complex technical issues to a policy and advocacy oriented audience, both written and orally
- Demonstrated ability to use research to determine strategic opportunities for program development, advocacy and/or policy application
- Proficiency in the use of relevant databases and software to analyze population, development, and economic data.
- Good knowledge and understanding of a wide range of international development, population, reproductive health and family planning programs and policies
- Overseas field experience in reproductive health or development preferred
- Proficiency in French or Spanish and experience writing funding proposals are a plus.
PAI is a family-friendly organization offering a competitive benefits package. Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirement to: email@example.com.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Closing Date: May 20, 2014